"Black Panther" Is Killing Sh**t At The Box Office
By: Kayla Pasacreta
The latest Marvel film, Black Panther, is killing it at the black office. Black Panther is Marvel's first time having a black director, and the movie has already brought in an $361 million worldwide for its 3-day weekend debut. The film has made an estimated $192 million domestically and $169 million internationally.
Black Panther's opening numbers are shattering several records (stats courtesy of Buzzfeed)
- The biggest domestic weekend opening for the months of February, March, and April
- The top grossing weekend for a black director (EVER)
- Biggest domestic weekend numbers for a Marvel film (other than Avengers)
- Biggest global debut for a film with a predominantly black cast (beating out Straight Outta Compton)
- fifth biggest domestic weekend (ever)
Disney has estimated that Black Panther will end up bringing in $218 million for its four-day-weekend debut (including President's Day). The movie was marketed for 9 months and had an estimated $200 million budget. The film's first weekend numbers alone overwhelming surpass the budget! Given the film's A+ ratings all around, Black Panther is likely to break several more records. If you haven't already, check out our take of why Black Panther is so culturally significant here.