Make America Great Again Hats: Stop Wearing that Sh**
By: Kayla Pasacreta
I need to vent, y’all. I am tired of seeing people out in public with the audacity to wear those horrid “Make America Great Again” hats. The trucker hat design seems to exploit the working class, with its basic nature clearly exuding to social status. Not only are they the most hideous shade of red, they also they tell me right away that you are (most likely) a racist, misogynistic loser (women included). As someone who lives in the quite liberal city such as the District, I’m always somewhat appalled when I see people donning these hats. Ironically, most of them children (parents, why set your kids up like that)?
Every time I see those hats though, I think of all of Trump’s broken promises. Thus, this is the perfect opportunity to call out the Trump administration out on their broken promises so far.
- Trump promised: “I’m not going to cut Social Security like every other Republican and I’m not going to cut Medicare or Medicaid.” However, on May 26th, the White House budget surely cut Social Security, Medicaid, and disability benefits (and trust me, some of you MAGA people really need this).
- THE WALL. Trump promised, “I’ll have Mexico pay for that wall.” In the words of former Mexican president Vincente Fox Quesada, “TRUMP, when will you understand that I am not paying for that fucken wall.” So, MAGA friends, Trump has requested $1.6 billion of (your) taxpayer dollars to pay for the wall. So much for Mexico paying for it, right?
- Appoint a special prosecutor and lock up Hillary Clinton – this hasn’t happened, and quite frankly isn’t happening. Sorry, “lock her up” folks.
- Get rid of all (11 million) undocumented immigrants – although Trump’s administration is working their hardest to deport any immigrants that come into their path, I don’t see how he can possibly think he can deport all 11 million immigrants.
- Bar Muslims from entering the U.S.: Well, a federal appeals court ruled it intolerant and discriminatory, rejecting the administration’s efforts to ban travel from 6 Muslim nations.
- Sue everyone who accused him of sexual assault: “The events never happened. Never. All of these liars will be sued after the election is over.” This, needless to say, has yet to happen.
Sure, it is true that a lot of Presidents don't keep up with their campaign promises. Call us petty to call Trump out on his shenanigans, but its important to note.Trump's whole mantra of #MAGA seems to be a way of telling us he wants to get this country back. Because, I ask you, when has this country ever been great? Can you reference me to this glory years, Trumpsters? I can't seem to think of a time America has been fully great - when trying to, I can only think of great inequality and injustices. What does make this country great though, is its inclusion, its potential for great opportunity for just about anyone. What makes this country great, to me, is President Obama boldly stating,
So, when you wear these hats defending someone who has mocked a disabled reporter, peddled a violent narrative about the beautiful, peaceful religion of Islam, continues to show a daily display of incompetence on Twitter, referred to his political opponent as a "nasty woman", constantly disrespected and made false claims about our first black president... I feel offended when I see Make America Great Again hats, because I see nothing but a rhetoric of hate that is getting people hurt and harassed. You can't go far on hate, friends, and that's why we see Trump's administration crumbling every single day.
So, for the love of God - stop wearing those damn hats.